06 May 2010

Skull Art

This may seem odd, but humans are quite obsessed with their own skeletons. I mean, the amount of art we've made with skulls and bones is tremendous! Take the Sedlec Ossuary for instance:

Its a church entirely decorated with human bones and skulls. In fact, the church actually employed an artist to do this. That chandelier hanging is made with every one of the bones in a human body.
Czech people aren't the only one's obsessed though; Mexicans are.
File:Catrina-sculpture.jpg
This is a skeleton dressed as an elegant lady, which is a popular symbol to celebrate the Day of the Dead in Mexico. Its called the La Calavera Catrina. I see where Tim Burton gets his inspiration, aye?
An artist named Francois Robert has rather interesting art made from human skeletons.
Actually, its not awfully interesting, to me, because I think its unethical. Human remains should R.I.P, not be on display. I mention this because of the BODIES exhibition. We must value the human body so little as a society, if we dip it in chemicals and sell tickets to look at it. Its worse than the freak shows of vaudeville, since this people don't even have the decency of clothes. And I think that all these terrible websites online, which show gruesome pictures of murders and rotting bodies (yes, I have come across them) should be illegal. Its NSFS (Not Safe For Soul!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment