29 April 2010

Chintz

Hallo!!
So I have been flipping through a Teen Vogue magazine, and I saw a spread for Summer 2010, that features lots of flower patterned button down shirts and shorts. Interesting, I thought, it looks sort of like chintz. Chintz is a patterned, cotton fabric dyed with prints of little birds and flowers, and was actually once outlawed by the French government in the 18th century. People were buying too much of it from foreign countries, so France didn't want to lose money. However, the nobles however were allowed to wear it. This sort of fills in some blanks, in regards to 18th century fashion, lol. I'm planning on hunting for some of these button down chintz shirts tomorrow, since I'm going to the city. I don't like being a slave to fashion, so I'm going to try to find one in a thrift store. I do think its a nice trend, but I'm not willing to pay over fifteen bucks for a one season thing.

I mean, only in a certain sense. I would have found this pattern horrendous if I was looking at it two years ago. But I think I've kind of forgotten about it, and now I rather like it. I think it might be the right time to bring chintz back. I mean, I'm so sick of this entire leggings, color blocking fashion. Its old, and its boring. We need something new. Maybe some modernized, digitalized chintz patterns? Hmm.
This is a special type of chintz called Tour de Joye. It features historical events instead of flowers:
I wonder if we can bring this pattern back as well. Actually, two years ago, I bought a sweatshirt from Buffalo with a blue chintzy pattern.  Its rather tight and it makes my upper body look like its made from porcelain. So maybe its not that new. But what if we make neon Tour de Joye skirts? Or neon chintz flower headbands? Or...... is this post slightly inappropriate for its kitsch-y nature?
:D
Cyaa
Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment